Where: Sydney, NSW
Max. People Per Tour: 25
Transport: on foot
Travel Interests: History and Heritage
Be touched by the most ancient human culture on earth in a 90-minute leisurely walkabout with an Aboriginal guide in The Rocks Sydney, and journey into DreamTime, the culture of Aboriginal People.
The Rocks Dreaming Aboriginal Heritage Tour is 100 per cent Aboriginal-owned and was developed by Aboriginal Elder, Margret Campbell, a Dunghutti – Jerrinjah woman. It is led by Aboriginal guides who have her permission to share her cultural knowledge. The tour gives you the opportunity to discover how the ancient Aboriginal DreamTime is still alive within the modern Sydney landscape and how the billion-year-old harbour, marine environment, sandstone strata, waterways, flora and fauna continue to influence how Aboriginal people live today.
This 90-minute leisurely walkabout in The Rocks is a perfect introduction to Aboriginal Culture showing a perspective of Sydney that is touching, enlightening, and very informative.
· Cadman’s Cottage – the meeting point for the tour, which begins with an introduction, acknowledgement
to Country and an ochre activity.
· Bligh and Barney Reserve – using seasonal native flora and fauna, the tour focuses on
natural resources and purposes/uses of lilly pilly, cabbage palm tree,
casuarina, lamandra, braken fern, grevillia and Wollemi pine.
· Campbells Cove – offers amazing views of Sydney Harbour. Here, the tour focuses on the Aboriginal
saltwater lifestyle and the spiritual importance of the Aboriginal sites, such as the harbour, Opera House/ Bennelong Point and Circular Quay/Woccamagully.
· Argyle Cut – learn about the importance of Earth Mother’s ochre (a natural paint), which exists in large clay pods on the wall of the Argyle Cut.
Group and school bookings are also available at a time that suits you. Please contact us for further information.
- Experience a local Aboriginal greeting and learn some of the language spoken
- Meet knowledgeable Aboriginal guides
- Participate in a Sydney cultural acknowledgement of Earth Mother using her ochre (traditional paint)
- Opportunity to handle cultural objects and materials
- Learn about the Aboriginal DreamTime, it’s origin, history and culture
- Understanding the connection between modern Sydney and the Aboriginal Dreaming.
What to bring:
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Weather appropriate clothing
Where to meet:
Cadman's Cottage, 110 George Street, The Rocks
Duration : 2
Destination : Sydney, NSW